Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Family Culture

A description of the three items you would choose
The three items I would definitely take would be family pictures, CD player with CD's, and a comb!

How you would explain to others what each of these items means to you
I would explain to them that the pictures are of my family and they represent memories from my past that I do not want to forget.  The CD play and CD's are for entertainment and they represent my culture and my interests. The comb is important as well because I like my hair to be neat, clean, and put together. Without a comb I would go insane.

Your feelings if, upon arrival, you were told that you could only keep one personal item and have to give up the other two items you brought with you
I would be devastated if I had to give up any of my items. Each item represents me and what I am about. They are a part of me and what makes me unique.  At the end of the day, if I really had to choose, I would always choose the photos because a picture is worth a thousand words and it is an eternal way to keep a memory alive.

Any insights you gained about yourself, your family culture, diversity, and/or cultural differences in general, as a result of this exercise,

From doing this exercise I realize how important my family and my culture are to me.  Its not everyday that you are faced with the question of "if you had to choose, what would you choose". 

3 comments:

  1. I really loved you blog for this week. I never thought about bring a comb. I thought that was very good to bring a comb. I too, choose to bring a photo album for memories. I did not think to bring a CD player to listen to music. But that was a great idea. I guess bring my cell phone would replace the CD player cause it can play music. Great blog and thanks for sharing. Look forward to see some of your other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting you mentioned you would bring a comb. I did not think to bring a comb for my hair or do any of my children's hair. I also said that I would keep my photo album. When I look at my pictures, they remind me of wonderful times we shared as a family. I agree that deciding what you would bring if you had to leave your country was an eye-opener. It was very difficult to think of what three things I would bring. I did learn a lot about myself and how I view my culture. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly:
    I have to repost my comment because I was posting about your support systems. Now, I wouldn’t think about bringing a brush or comb to do my hair. Right now my hair is wash and wear, sister locks, so I am okay without a comb for my hair, yet in some countries they don’t have combs and this can be a “deal breaker” for some woman to keep them well groomed. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete