Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

One memory I have of an incident when I experienced on facebook. I had commented on the page of my of my parents who is white, and her boyfriend's cousin who is also white responded by calling someone the "N" word. It bothered me so much that I had to speak my mind. Needless to say, she look the comments down.

The "N" word was used as a way to discriminate against black people. How can we expect to make a positive change if people are still insistent upon using language that is so degrading and hurtful?

This incident made me extremely mad. I know that the world is alot better than it used to be but there's still alot of changes that need to be made.

Clearly everyone who feels that that word is appropriate to use needs to change their way of thinking in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity.

No comments:

Post a Comment