Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Hypothetical Family Situation



I am a single mother of a two year old and I am currently pregnant with my second child. My two year old daughter has down-syndrome and it is sometimes hard for me to afford her medications. I work five days per week and am also a full-time student.  We are barely over the poverty level but I am making it work some how. I don’t want to have government assistance but it is the only way I can get by and be able to provide for me and my family.  

I never thought I would be a single mother or would have to struggle like this. I married the love of my life when I was 21 and the day after our daughter’s second birthday, he was tragically killed on his way home from work. Three weeks later, I found out I was pregnant again.  Once he died and the household was down to just my income, I could no longer afford to keep up with the bills so, we moved in with my mother and father.  Once I complete my Bachelor’s degree, I know I will be able to find a higher paying job so that I can get my own home again and support my children on my own. 


Questions for my classmates:
Am I missing any important details needed for the successful completion of this assignment?
What websites would you recommend I use to help me complete this assignment?
Does anyone have any thoughts, based on my specific family situation, that will affect the childhood system I am creating?

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I think this is such a great real life situation. Many families do not want government assistance, but many do not have a choice. We will never really understand another family struggle until we put ourselves in their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, real-life scenario! Unfortunately, this is reality for so many women. What are the specific needs of the two year old with Downs Syndrome? As we know, each case is different, and the needs of each child will vary. When thinking about the resources you will need to link this family to, it will be important to consider her specific needs and challenges. I can't wait to see where it goes!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete